Cutest Blog on the Block

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Kayla at 2 Years Old

I know I haven't done one of these posts in a while...so I thought it was about time. Time gets away from me so quickly these days!

My little girl...first born...is already 2 years old. I can't believe that the tiny little 4 pound baby I held in the NICU not so long ago is already having conversations with me, helping me, and amazing me every day. Kayla is about 26 lbs these days, coming in right around the 50th percentile. We don't know her height, because she refuses to stand to be measured at the doctor. In fact, she pretty much refuses to walk into the doctor's office at all...so it's all guesswork with Kayla!

She is TALKING like crazy! Kayla literally...never shuts up. She chats away non-stop, and if I leave for a little while she is sure to tell me EVERYTHING that happened while I was gone within the first 3 minutes of walking in the door. She goes to bed at 7:30pm each night happily, and as I leave her room saying "Night Night! I love you, baby" she responds with "I love you baby". She then sings songs like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Happy Birthday, or chats herself to sleep, saying things like "bye bye Mommy. bye bye Daddy. bye bye Gramma. bye bye Papa. bye bye Gran. bye bye Minnie." We hear again from her at about 7-7:30am, usually chatting away in her crib & playing with her "bubby" (a little bunny blanket she can't sleep without), her "minnie" (a minnie mouse blanket that has quickly become her "2nd in command" to bubby), her "baby blankie" (a miniature blanket), her "blankie" (a big blanket to cover her), and her pillow. When she is ready to get up she calls "Moooommmmyyy, Where aaaaare yoooooouuuuu?" with her hands cupped around her mouth like she's calling me from a far off distance. When I appear in her doorway she'll usually just start talking, or if she has a poopy diaper she'll say "I poopy!"

Kayla requests her breakfast each day, usually choosing between oatmeal (farina with apples & cinnamon), waffles with fruit, yogurt with fruit, or cheerios (which she calls "shoe-shoe"). She helps me make my coffee, and typically instructs me as to what I will be eating as well ("Mommy eat eggs"). Kayla can sing her ABCs, count to 20, and if you creep up on her in a room alone you can often witness her "reading" or rather telling the story she sees in the pictures, out loud. She can jump with 2 feet off the ground, she is learning her first tap dancing steps (from her Mommy, of course!), she eats by herself with her own fork (although REALLY loves to use a Mommy-Fork). She walks up and down the stairs herself, climbs in and out of the bathtub, draws with chalk in the driveway. When she is pooping she often stands in the corner and says "I pooping!" and keeps requesting "Kaya own potty? Kaya peepee in potty?" She refers to herself as "I" or "Kaya" (she can't quite say Ls yet). She used to call her brother "T" but now says "T-Yay".

If TJ is doing something he shouldn't be, Kayla tells on him. She'll run in the kitchen and say "'Mere Mommy! See T-Yay doing!" (Come Here, Mommy! See what TJ is doing!). She is obsessed with her independence, constantly requesting "Kaya Self" or "I do it" whenever we try to do something for her. She loves to pick flowers, and knows many of her colors (pink, purple, blue, green, yellow). She still eats almost anything we give her...with an occasional refusal, but we are still very lucky. She prefers meats, cheese, fruit & starches but does eat her vegetables too. She loves her cats, and knows them by name...all 4 of them. She even imitates Mommy's "high voice" that I use when I talk to the cats, and makes kissy noises to get their attention.

Kayla also loves taking care of her baby-dolls. She feeds them bottles, applesauce, changes their diapers, and dresses them. She loves to have Tea Parties with you, and will cook you up some yummy birthday cake, soup, chicken, eggs, or cookies in her play kitchen. She will pour your tea and scoop your sugar too!

Our little baby is quickly becoming a little girl. Oh, how time flies! Life is a little tougher now that she has opinions, but it is nice to have someone to talk to all day when Daddy is working!

Kayla eating her cereal...or "shoe-shoe" as she insists on calling it (I think she's saying "cheerios" but who knows!


Feeding her babies:


Eating a Tomato while helping Mommy make a salad:

No comments: